Sunday, July 2, 2017

How I Challenged Myself To Think Different About My #Lifegoals




A friend told me recently that I am always rushing to arrive at my next destination. In essence, what he was saying was, I am so focused on accomplishing my #lifegoals that I don't take the time to enjoy the process along the way. He was right.

As long as I can remember, whatever goal I wanted to obtain, I did not focus on anything but the finished product. I didn't enjoy the process, and instead, approached it as the dues I had to pay to gain the results I wanted. The problem with this perspective is, if I believe my goals are a chore, then the beauty in the journey is overlooked. Even more, I am creating a trail of missed opportunities every day, diminishing the quality life I could have.  

The "learning is in the doing", or rather taking action, to enrich my life and the lives of others who I encounter on my journey. In other words, I will not be a spectator, life deserves my full participation.



So, with these thoughts in mind, I made a conscious decision to view differently what it meant for me to pursue a goal:

1) Determine what I want

2) Don't linger on the "glory of the goal", instead think deeply about the pain involved in the process to decide if it's worth it

3) Come to a definitive decision to go forward or change direction

4) Commit to the goal and everything that comes along with it

5) Use every experience as a learning opportunity, positive and negative, to enhance my skills

6) Never Give Up

I decided that going through the motions about anything is robbing life of what it can teach me, and what I can share with others.  

Since I made the mindset shift to focus more on the journey and not the goal, this process challenges me every day and gets me out of my comfort zone. 



So how can you challenge yourself to think different about your #lifegoals? Whatever you decide to pursue, embrace everything that comes along with it. Take the time to engage with people, explore the process, and use introspection to become self-aware.  If your life is your legacy, then what will it say about you in the end?

Also Find on Medium in My "Career Bluprint" Publication